Do you have a box hidden deep in the attic or under the bed that holds your great grandfather's diaries from 1914-1918? His army medals? Or a photo with a special story behind it? If so, it could be part of a unique European WW1 project, shared worldwide to commemorate the centenary of the outbreak of the war.
This year sees the 100th anniversary of the start of World War One. To mark this event, the crowdsourcing project Europeana 1914-1918 is collecting private memorabilia throughout Europe and making it all available in a public digital archive. Now the project is coming to Austria.
The Deutsches Filminstitut, coordinator of the European film digitisation project about the First World War, EFG1914, and its European partners welcome the appreciation of their work by the United Nations
This year marks the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of World War One. And today Greece launches its participation in Europeana 1914-1918, a unique online European WW1 project to collect, digitise and share worldwide personal and family memorabilia and stories of the conflict.
Tired of just looking at paintings? Now it's time to get inside them!
Welcome to Europeana Professional, where librarians, curators and archivists share digital expertise.
Who We Are
The Europeana Foundation is the operator of the Europeana service, including the search portal at Europeana.eu and related data services such as the Europeana Application Programming Interface (API) and the Linked Open Data pilot. The Foundation is governed by an Executive Committee and Board, and employs full-time and part-time staff.
The Europeana Network is an open, expert forum comprising content holders and aggregators along with providers of technical, legal and strategic knowledge.
What We Do
- Aggregate – We are building the open, trusted source for European cultural content
- Facilitate – We support the cultural heritage sector through knowledge transfer, innovation and advocacy
- Distribute – We make heritage available to people wherever they are, whenever they want it
- Engage – We cultivate new ways for people to participate in their cultural heritage
- Europeana Professional is the common website for Europeana projects, reaching cultural heritage professionals and technologists. It is the official source for technical information, metadata standards and case studies, and also brings together all project work.
- The Europeana portal is our search engine for the digitised collections of museums, libraries, archives and galleries across Europe.
- Our Virtual Exhibitions feature highlights from our collection.
- The Europeana 1914-1918 project brings together community-contributed content from the time of World War One.